List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    input method.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-28 9:50:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

KOffice has gotten a good name in supporting many non-latin writings and
rules. So, naturally, we had to have support for entering of text in
another manner than just the keys that are on your keyboard.
most recognizable of these is the compose.  This is how you type a ß or å
using 'ss' or 'oa'.

SInce today KOffice and Flake is again capable of inputting these
characters, in most apps, no need for you to do anything :)
I adjusted all canvasses[1] to listen to and forward the relevant events
and I made the KoTool implementation to process the keys.  So even all
existing tools should work just fine with this now.[2]

footnotes;
1) I skipped adjusting KSPread.  The app still does all its input event
processing in the canvas instead of forwarding it to a tool. Which means
whatever I type it goes to kspread, not flake.
The solution I think it should aim for is that all input in the canvas is
routed to the kspread-tool (which inherits from KoTool) which then uses
those to alter the kspread-internals.  This way the text entry will work
in all apps.

2) I have been unable to use any more advanced input method
than 'compose'. I have skim setup fine and it works in kword1.x. But not
in any Qt4 app. Not sure what the problem is, but I suspect we need to
patch Qt somehow like the distros did for Qt3.
Anyway; I have some code in the TextTool to provide better support for
intermediate text-renderings, but I can't test it :(
--
Thomas Zander