List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Use case: BasKet and ODF
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-26 22:09:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 20:28:41 Frank Ploss wrote:
> The question is: can ODF be usable for this in any way? If baskets
> could be saved as ODF, this will probably mean many other apps will be
> able to use baskets, and the other way round: any object embeddable in
> ODF can be displayed in BasKet. Another question is if the UI of BasKet
> will have to be tweaked very much to be able to display and edit ODF.
> This wouldn't be very good because the specialty of BasKet is the way
> you handle notes.

Sorry for the time it took me to reply; its a big question you pose :)

Lets be clear and define some terms.

When we talk about making ODF the native fileformat of Basket this
effectively means;
* all content is either embedded or referenced from an ODF (based) file.
* Basket loads this data and thereby fills its already existing data
structures with this data.
* Basket stores its existing data structures using a (future) kodflib
which is basically a xml-writer on steroids.

Basically all of the items you posted are very possible to do, and I think
it indeed makes a lot of sense to go in the direction you stated in your
email.

> In the future, conceptually, a "basket":
> - is a document, with flexible, self-adjusting size
> - contains one or more "pages"
> - is arranged in a hierarchy of baskets

This sounds rather like a KWord document if you look at it from 10km
height ;)  So not much issues.
The hierarchy of baskets and the effective nesting of pages may pose a bit
of a problem, but you may just be able to map that onto a normal frame
without any issues.

> "Pages"
> - contain "notes" which can be freely arranged in the page
> - have a title, a background image, and other attributes
> - can contain magnetic vertical lines (to allow arrangement in columns,
> but not forcibly)
> "Notes"
> - consist of one or more paragraphs
> "Paragraphs"
> - can be moved out of a note into another
> - can contain different types of objects (text, links, images, sound,
> ...) - can be tagged (like "important", "to-do")
> - can be indented to form a hierarchy

All very straight forward.

> - can be special objects (addressbook entry, to-do item, e-mail, BibTeX
> entries, ...)

As ODF does allow you to create your own tags things like 'email' can be
stored without loss of metadata. No problem.
I think that BibTex entries are even supported in ODF1.2

> Some of the features that should be possible with BasKet:
> - free-hand drawing
> - mathematical formulas
> - extending BasKet with other note types
> - load a document (PDF, ODF, ...) read-only and make annotations on it
> - collaborative editing (shared baskets), maybe using decibel (still a
> very new idea)
> - merging changes between baskets sent via e-mail

All of these are also already supported by ODF, the filetype.
The collaborative editing and usage of decibel is actually a GSoC in
KOffice ;)

Sounds like an exciting idea to persue, for sure!
--
Thomas Zander