List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Color selection widget
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-26 9:35:12

On Friday 25 May 2007 19:19:34 Casper Boemann wrote:
> The requirements I have for the new widget is:

Thanks again for your use cases, much appreciated.
Based on the use cases elsewhere in this thread I'd like to offer some
ideas I think would be very useful.

* The popup with color swatches could have a section of auto-calculated
colors which I'd call 'suggestions'.
These colors can be segregated into 'similar' and 'complementary' ones.
Each 2 or 3 rows, for example.
The suggestions should be calculated based on their color value. So the
opposite of blue would be a series of white, yellow and similar swatches.
(I think you are familiar with color value, so I won't describe it here).

This will benefit Colon and David by helping them mostly avoid using the
custom color picker.

* A section with recent colors. I think they should be global colors, so
you can see the just selected foreground color in the background color's
popup as well.
I guess you wanted to include something like that, but it wasn't clear
from your mail, so I'm making it explicit. ;)

Adam will surely love that one.

* Above I talked about sections; I can think of two ways to do sections.
One is simply by starting a new row of swatches (optionally visually
separated). The other is by having a small tab.
I'm imagining that it would be great to have a tab for the recent colors
so they don't change place (since recent colors get appended) for Adam
who will be selecting the same again and again.
Two things that I think would be essential for having a tab;
 a) switching tabs is done by hovering, not clicking. So you move the
  mouse over that tab and some 300ms later that tab is switched to.
 b) between selections / usages of the popup the last used tab is
  persisted.

Using both section dividers would help immensely to give each use case
their own 'place' to select colors from which helps muscle memory and
learnability. (by limiting the amount of things to learn since those
remain unseen)

What do you think? Are these ideas worthy of consideration in designing
the new widget?

I''l attach some mockup to allow us to talk more specifically appended
(very quickly done, don't consider this a final thing at all, just to
have some graphics to see ;)
--
Thomas Zander

["colors.jpg" (image/jpeg)]