List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] OpenDocument MIME icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-05-20 2:24:21

jos poortvliet wrote:
> Op Friday 18 May 2007, schreef James Richard Tyrer:
>> So, I reworked the icon: "application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.text"
>> using what I feel are proper design methods.
>>
>> I attach PNG renderings of it.  Please compare to the current PNG
>> Oxygen icons in the same sizes.
>
> Sure yours are much clearer at larger size, but for the smaller ones,
> the oxygen icons aren't bad at all (eg compare the 32 vs 32, the
> Oxygen might even be better). And I think for the large one, it
> doesn't matter if it's very clear or not - it's big enough anyway.

Are we comparing the same icons?  See attached, my test icons are on the
left; 48x48 on the top and 32x32 on the bottom.  The issue here is
mostly contrast.  I note that this is not my final icon, from my test
PNGs, I can see some things that can be improved.  I also think that the
32x32 might need hand optimization.

> Can you explain what the differences are?

I used an extra bold font.  I used Arial Black, but I find that this
isn't the best choice since it increased the size of the SVG because the
font has more detail which has no effect on the final PNGs.  A simpler
extra bold font would have the same result.

I didn't leave extra white space to achieve right justification; I
compressed or expanded the lines of text slightly.

The bottom of each line of text was aligned to 4 pixel boundary in the
128x128 SVG.  This increases the contrast (more higher spatial frequency
content) in the vertical direction in the text blocks.

> And probably make a 16x16, or would that have to be hand-tuned
> anyway, like the Oxygen one?

This SVG won't scale to 16x16 and 22x22 and the PNGs will probably need
to be hand optimized.  But that is normal.

--
JRT

["ODF-test.png" (image/png)]