List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] OpenDocument MIME icons
From:       David Vignoni <david () oxygen-icons ! org>
Date:       2007-05-15 18:54:14

Il giorno 15/mag/07, alle ore 20:43, James Richard Tyrer ha scritto:

> jos poortvliet wrote:

>>> I think that you don't exactly understand my point.  My point is
>>> about
>>> contrast.
>> You think the large ones also have too much detail, aren't clear
>> enough? What is the problem of having a lot of detail in 128x128
>> icons, if you can point out what the problem is there, maybe it is
>> more clear what you mean.
>
> Too much detail is detail that is not well rendered in even 128x128
> pixel images.  While it should be obvious that such detail is
> unneeded, the specific problem is that this makes the icon look
> fuzzy and reduces the contrast and spatial frequency information
> (acuity).

detail is needed to make it look gorgeus, is that enough? if you
don't need a gorgeous icon theme that's ok, but don't blame for ever.
Aren't you going to use hi-color anyway?

>> I mean, if the smaller ones are all hand-optimized, and the large
>> ones are just beautiful (they are, imho) then what is the problem?
>
> Yes the large icons look nice at 512x512 pixels, but icons need to
> be designed to be viewed at the common sizes of 32x32 and 48x48
> pixels. Some icons (for specific reasons) need to be hand optimized
> for those sizes.  But, in general, Icons should be designed to look
> good at 32x32 and 48x48 if possible.  They certainly should look
> good at 64x64 pixels -- nothing should be fuzzy at that size.

it would look nice and 512x512 if the goal was you being able to read
the dumb text I wrote inside. But that's not the purpose.
The goal is to make it look like real text.

Getting sick of this discussion which is pointless, since we already
told the world we care about small resolutions.

David Vignoni, david@oxygen-icons.org
OXYGEN icon theme director and designer