List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: ODF Weekend: the vision
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2007-05-10 17:55:27

On Thursday 10 May 2007 16:45, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 16:05:51 Inge Wallin wrote:
> >  Perhaps we should come up with a cool name for this technology.
>
> Its called Flake ')

or Kross :) nah, just joking even if it's already in use;
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/SuperKaramba#Connect_with_KSpread
For sure it's not the best solution or something that fits all needs, etc. and
also it's very hacky (scripting, not very type-safe, a pure C++ lib is
better, etc.). But I guess if we take all those use-cases into account we may
have an idea how complex such a solution needs to be. So, where I see
currently use-cases are;
* Okular likes to display and probably allows to search and extract content
(and I really ask me, if Flake doesn't already provide all this?)
* SuperKaramba likes to be as flexible as possible via scripting what includes
reading+writing+manipulation of such files (Kross does it, dbus too, do we
need more here?)
* KPrint(er) may like to optional print content to ODT-files.
* since we will have a few kdepim-devels with us, are there use-cases they
would like to have like e.g. beeing able to use KSpread formulas within
KOrganizer (ok, stupid example) or...?

I also see some more general questions like;
* is it really only about opendocument import/export or even about
functionality like beeing able to read a template, fill it with content and
save it again or like allowing other apps to reuse the KSpread formula-engine
or...?
* and most interesting to me: how can that be done without breaking everything
again? imho the biggest priority should be to get things working again and
not to start even more bigger refactors right before the first release... I
guess this means, that we need to keep steps small and try to provide a
solution with our current codebase and just extend it where needed.

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc