List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: ODF Weekend: the vision
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-10 15:06:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 10 May 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007 16:05:51 Inge Wallin wrote:
> >  Perhaps we should come up with a cool name for this technology.
>
> Its called Flake ')

heh =)

well, i think the broader use case amongst applications is:

"my application displays data in a widget already appropriate for the usage.
right now i store it in a format particular to my application, meaning that
only my application can open it. i'd like to replace my own data format with
something interoperable, like ODF, but it's too complex."

an obvious example is kjots. it has no need for a gui component to display the
rich text, and it does display documents in a slightly different way from
other applications.

it would be great if it could drop it's own xml-ish file format though.

there are numerous such examples where being able to load/store data in ODF
format would be nice and useful, and there is no reason to expect that the
data is even displayed on screen.

afaik (and please, correct me if i'm wrong), flake is both display and data.
and really we need primarily data storage and retrieval.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se