List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    ODF Weekend: the vision
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-05-10 14:05:51

Hi again,

Last email was about the boring details; this one is about what I envision we
will accomplish.

I have 2 mail goals for this meeting:

1. To the amount that it's not already done, we shall design the ODF
infrastructure for KOffice 2.0 so that it's easy to understand and use.
1b. We shall try to create an efficient work environment so that we can use
all the people who's there to get as much actual implementation done as
possible.

2. My vision for the future of KDE is that OpenDocument will be a well
integrated data format. This means that we have to do some design so that all
applications can create, show or manipulate ODF data structures. We have a
representative from Okular, (Tobias König) with us who will be our first user
of this. If possible, it should be as easy to create a simple ODF document
from a template as it is to play a sound using Phonon. Perhaps we should come
up with a cool name for this technology.

This means that we will probably have to create a library similar to
kdepimlibs that will be available for kdebase and the rest of the KDE
modules. We will have to brainstorm here on which parts of the kolibs this
library will take over. It's also very likely that some parts of ODF
reading/writing that is currently in the ko apps themselves will have to be
refactored into this library.

The most difficult line to draw will probably be which flake tools to include
in this library. I don't expect that many other apps will provide ODF editing
like the KOffice apps do, but perhaps we need to provide *some* simple
manipulators. Which ones?  That will be part of our brainstorming.

Thomas came up with another point in his mail to koffice-devel: Integration
with 3rd party applications like document systems. This is not strictly an
ODF question, but nevertheless important for KOffice. I expect more such
issues to come up, and we should at least discuss them.

All the ODF handling KO applications have representatives at the meeting. We
have also a number of other hackers that can help with implementation of
particular features. We will try to keep a dynamic TODO list for things to
implement, and who does what, so that we organize ourselves as efficiently as
possible.

We had hoped to have Aaron Seigo with us to provide valuable input from the
kdelibs side of things. He won't come, but he has promised to be available
online via Skype video conference or something similar. This is a bit of a
disappointment, but we have Thomas and David to take up this slack. I think
we will manage pretty fine anyway.

In addition to that, we have a number of resource people that we will have to
keep busy:
 - Philip Rodrigues: A documentor extraordinaire. I have already assigned a
task to him: To write an ODF tutorial for KOffice and the library that we
will design. This should eventually end up on techbase. Please come up with
more work for him so he doesn't feel that his trip is wasted. :-)
 - Anne-Marie Mahfouf: Our web maintainer, documentor and also developer. She
has volunteered to do bug triaging and testing, so if you have things that
can't just be tested by running a program once or twice, ask her for help.
 - Jos Poortvliet (sp?): Our press guy.  He will document for the outside
world what we're doing and thinking. Expect him to hassle you for info during
all the weekend.
 - Claire Lotion: organizer. She will take care of all our needs equipment,
food and lodging wise and be a general concierge. If you're missing
something, ask Claire and watch it magically appear.
 - Me (Inge): organizer.  I'll try to help with as much as I can, but I'm also
the KChart maintainer and will try to get as much hacking done as possible.

Finally, if you're from a country with a different electric contact geometry
than Germany, don't forget to bring an adaptor.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |