List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RFC: Not using adjustable precision in KSpread
From:       "Tomas Mecir" <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-05 17:57:36

Greetings, everyone.

It'e been quite some time since I've been last active here, but with
the freeze of kdelibs and me getting a new computer, keeping kdelibs
up-to-date is no longer a full-time activity, so I'm going to delve
into KSpread once again.

I am considering changing one thing that has been troubling me about
KSpread for some time now - the fact that the displaying of numbers is
attempting to adjust the precision by the cell width. I'm
intentionally saying attempting, because my experience with that is
that these attempts are quite slow (possibly one of the reasons why
the cells render slowly), and the displaying gets it wrong half the
time anyway.

So. What I am proposing is changing the displaying code to use a fixed
number of decimals when displaying numbers. Thus, if you put "3.45678"
into cell A1, you will see "3.46" regardless on the width of the cell.
If you want to see higher precision, you have to change the cell
formatting to display a different number of digits. The "Variable"
precision would cease to exist. All computations would still be done
at max precision, of course.

The disadvantage is that it's slightly harder to use the app for
high-precision computing, but that's not a problem as changing the
formatting isn't hard.

The advantage would be that displaying would go faster and the display
wouldn't get broken half the time due to the width calculation getting
the number width wrong.

Note that OpenOffice.org is doing it exactly this way and nobody seems
to have any problems with it being so, which inspired me to suggest
doing the same.

Opinions ?

/ Tomas