List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Plugins plugins and more plugins...
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-04-14 7:51:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

KOffice has gotten more and more configurable through plugins over time,
which is a really good thing.
We now allow the following concepts to be loaded as plugins;
* Shapes (see KoShapeRegistry)
* Tools (see KoToolRegistry)
* Dockers (see KoDockRegistry)
I'll add a registry for Borders later (plugins for objects that inherit
from KoShapeBorderModel)

Text based;
* Inline objects (variables/etc) (see KoInlineObjectRegistry)
* Text editing (post processing) (see KoTextEditingRegistry)

Krita:
hmm, don't know. I'll let someone else complete the list :)

Now; with all this comes 2 responsibilities.  We need to very well
document how to create new plugins as well as guide a plugin developer to
the right plugin type.
A second responsibility is that we need to have a way to do manage the
plugins installed.  With this I mean that a sysadmin may install all
plugins there are, and the user will then see his startup time go down
unless he marks certain plugins as ones he does not want.

What I did today;
* I made loading of plugins honor the application configuration settings.
(see KoPluginLoader)
* I started a new page of the wiki;
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Plugins

What still needs to be done (volunteers requested ;)
* merge already written Krita docs onto the wiki, so it eventually will
end up on the techbase wiki.  Per KDE-wide documentation request.
* Help write new tutorials
* Create a new (koffice wide) widget that will allow a user enable/disable
which plugins are loaded.  This is not too hard as all the info is stored
in the KConfig objects.
* Consider all dockers we have and see if there are any we want to share
between applications by making them plugins instead.  I especially see
potential in Karbon dockers.  Note that this does not always mean they
should be moved to /koffice/plugins.

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander