List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord integration possiblities
From:       andre () familiesomers ! nl
Date:       2007-03-27 7:33:18

Hi,

> On Monday 26 March 2007 17:33, andre@familiesomers.nl wrote:
>> I am new to KOffice development, but I am thinking about developing a
>> program for qualitative data analysis (QDA). Because I am a lazy
>> programmer, I would like to re-use existing components wherever
>> possible.
>> Naturally, KDE and KOffice came to mind...
>
> I found these pages that go into the topic a bit further;
> http://sophia.smith.edu/~jdrisko/slide_5.htm
> http://sophia.smith.edu/~jdrisko/slide_6.htm
> As well as slide 7 and 8. But they are not really relevant in this thread.
Yes, those slides indeed give some idea of what I'm after.

> Let me paint you a picture and you can tell me if you like it;
>
> Imagine a new application that is used to show content and annotate it.
> Its
> screen does not show content based on pages, like, for example, KWord
> does.
> It shows content more like a file-browser as structured information. Which
> opens op possibilities to have content being available in multiple
> positions
> on the canvas.
>
> When I talk about content I'm talking about text, charts, spreadsheets,
> images
> etc. In KOffice2 you can show a fully marked up text in your document in
> print quality. You can also show the text at 5% or show only an icon.
> Just as important; you can select some text, or a region of the image and
> write a plugin for that to annotate it.  Any way you want (the annotation
> interface would be a piece of C++ code, the possibilities are near
> endless).
OK, such an interface would be nice to have when you have allready marked
fragments and coded these fragments, but to start out with, one would have
a full text document (or spreadsheet, or video, or image, or..., but let's
stick to text documents now for the sake of argument) in which you can
select fragments and mark them for further processing, code them, etc.
Preferably, one would be able to show wich fragments are selected showing
braces in the margin of the document.

> What KOffice2 offers you here is that all content can be shown on your
> canvas,
> and you can move them around, zoom into them and even rotate scale them
> with
> ease.  It also provides printing, saving and manipulation capabilities for
> that content.
That already is a very usefull list of functions :-)

> What you need to add for the above to work is
> * a basic application with a flake canvas
> * some extra tools to annotate things
> * a 'database' to do the annotation. Though you should look into strigi
> and
> KFileMetaInformation as that may be done partially already.
> *  algorithms to search and all that stuff that QDA apps do.
>
> In short; all the boring stuff that has little to do with actual QDA are
> available for you to reuse.  And you don't even need to work with the
> KOffice
> team as you can just use the stuff in the libraries.
>
> Some info;
> http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Flake
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Write_a_Flake_Plugin

Thanks for your insight, it seems that with KOffice 2, this would be a
viable undertaking. I guess I'll start setting up a KDE 4 & KOffice 2
developement environment ASAP and start playing around a bit.

Regards,

André