List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Notes on koffice unit tests
From:       Jan Hambrecht <jaham () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-02-12 11:11:42

Jan Hambrecht wrote:
> Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
>> Hello,

>>> Don't know what you mean by shapeConnection. You probably mean the shape
>>> containers?
>>> Please correct me if i am wrong, but i understand it that only shapes
>>> without a parent (top level shapes) are painted from the shape manager, all
>>> child shapes are painted from their parents respectively. That would fix
>>> the painting of hidden shapes, because painting is done hierarchically.
>> If I'm not wrong this is only true for KoShapeGroup shapes. If you have layers
>> and you have four objects they can be painted like the following:
>>
>> shape layer z-order
>> one   1     1
>> two   2     2
>> three 1     3
>> four  2     4
>>
>> The painting can not be done by the container as that would paint as the
>> following:
>>
>> shape layer z-order
>> one   1     1
>> three 1     2
>> two   2     3
>> four  2     4
>>
>> So I think this 2 cases have to be done differently.
>>
>> Thorsten
>>
> Indeed. For that to work correctly we need a bottom up approach. So the
> shape manager has to do all the painting.
> First sort all shapes by z-order, then for each shape it has to go up
> the nesting hierarchy to check if the shape is visible or clipped. If
> the shape or one of its parents or grandparents is not visible the shape
> is not painted. If the shape is clipped or one of its parents or
> grandparents is clipped the shape manager has to compose the resulting
> cliprect from the top parent to its own direct parent and use that for
> drawing the shape.

I looked up the z-index definition in the odf spec as well as the
svg-spec. It seems that the z-index attribute is not well defined. Odf
just points to use the svg:z-index. But in svg the rendering order is
only defined by the order of the elements inside the document.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/render.html#RenderingOrder or
http://wiki.svg.org/Rendering_Order.