List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KSpread: Entering matrix formulas
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2007-02-10 15:00:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

currently the entering of formulas, whose results are matrices, is a bit odd.
We try to mimic the Excel, Calc, Gnumeric behaviour *), i.e. you need to mark
the range the matrix values should be put in _before_  you begin to enter the
formula. Then, you have to finish entering the formula by Ctrl-Alt-Return
instead of just Return. If the selected range is smaller or greater as the
resulting matrix, the elements are cut off or #REF! errors are put in,
respectively.

The reason for this behavior is, that you can store such a result in a single
cell or just in a specified (smaller) range and to prevent accidentally
overwriting of data (it'd not always be obvious, which range has been
overwritten).

I'd like to change this complicated matrix formula entering. My plan is to use
the necessary cell range, if just one cell is selected and you hit the
Alt-Ctrl-Return combination. If you just hit Return, the result is stored in
the single cell (no change here). If more cells were selected before and you
use the key combination, the result uses this range, but not more than
necessary.

To prevent accidental overwritings, I'd like to set the selection to the
region, that has been altered. And eventually, if this is not enough, a
passive popup, that barks: "Wuff, wuff!" (the message string is open for
discussion ;-) ).

Another topic is the current implementation of setting the matrix elements:
The top left cell carries the resulting matrix as value. The other cells in
the selected range get an INDEX() formula refering to the corresponding
element in the top left cell.
I'd like to introduce a new (rectangular) storage instead, which stores the
occupied region - similar to the merging info. Altering any other than the
top left value/formula of such regions should be forbidden, while the
(conditional) styles, comments, validitations should be still allowed. The
INDEX() formulas will get replaced by the plain matrix elements.

Any objections or comments regarding this proposal?

Regards,
Stefan

*) Actually, I don't know, wether you need to define the range before entering
the formula in Excel or wether it does what I'm proposing here. :|

--
Stefan Nikolaus
humba, humba, tätärää, tätärää, tätäräää ;-)