List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: fuzzy logic
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2007-02-03 15:56:06

I've had a look. It seems to me that their fuzzy numbers are just a
special kind of measures (as in measure theory in math) on the real
numbers. IMHO, their framework is too limited to be really useful. It
doesn't seem to allow gaussian (as in exp(-x^2)) or dirac measures, which
are the most common measures one'll have to deal with. It will thus force
replacing them with approximations, which will not only be unreliable but
also more computational-intensive.

In short, it's either too little (for real scientific work) or too much
(if one doesn't need good reliability, then one doesn't need to mess with
that anyway).

If one wants to be serious with that kind of things, it would be better to
make a framework that includes enough of measure-theory to encompass
probability theory (recall that measure-theory and probability-theory as
just the same thing) because that might have many useful applications.

Benoit