List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem with big integers
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2007-01-31 20:55:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 21:01:43 Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 schrieb Stefan Nikolaus:
> > Thinking about it: Replacing the stored long variable by a qint64 one
> > would not need more space as before. The size of double is also 64 bit. I
> > think, it would: a) be easier/faster to change and b) prefered as we'll
> > get a wider range for integers: -2^63 ... 2^63-1.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> This would also improve speed for pure integer calculations, wouldn't it?

If we would make use of it by distinguishing between integers/floats for ALL
operations, it would. AFAICS, only the addition makes this distinction atm.
Wether this speed improvement is worth the distinction is another story. And
most operations have to be executed with floats either, which shows that the
wider range for integers is only academical.

Regards,
Stefan