List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Using KChart
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-01-18 15:25:41

On Thursday 18 January 2007 15.40, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 15:17, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > The mistake you and Thomas are making is to distinguish too hard between
> > a chart widget and a plot widget.  A line chart or a point chart is
> > exactly the exact same as a plot.
> > I still haven't heard anything that the plot
> > widget from kdeedu can do and kdchart can't.
>
> If that is the case, I'm deeply disappointed that kdchart has never been
> advertised to do what it can do. As clearly kchart must use just a few
> percent of its capabilities.

KChart doesn't use the full capabilities, no.  To call it "just a few percent"
is, wrong on the other hand.

> Though, I have to point out that an API that is reviewed and fixed like
> kplot is a whole lot more valuable then the kdchart that consistently makes
> the apidox error count and lots of other auto-checkers go wild.
> In other words, I'd rather use something that makes clear its being
> maintained in an open manner, preferably in kde svn.

The API of KDChart will never change at all until a new major version is out.
It will be expanded with new chart types and new capabilities of existing
chart types, but not changed.

Regarding the documentation of the API, I can agree that better apidox would
be nice. It would also be nice that we get fixes continuously instead of only
when they release a new version. I can talk with KDAB about that, and I think
we would get a favorable reply.

On the plus side, there is a whole book written on how to use KDChart,
complete with example code and figures and you will never get that for the
kdeedu plot widget nor any other API in KOffice (maybe with the exception of
KDGantt, which is also from KDAB).

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |