List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: A simple place for complex settings, KOffice-wide
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-01-09 21:33:04

Cyrille Berger said the following, On 2007-01-09 22:12:
>> This is not something I want to see in at least KWord, and I'd feel bad if
>> it were in other KOffice applications.
> That's something I don't want to see in any KDE application :/ It's the
> gnome/windows way of doing, and it gets pretty ugly soon, like on the mozilla
> screenshot.

I gave you an example from the dot comment. Don't overaggregate the problem:
there are advanced and simple options.
Removing advanced options _entirely_ IS THE GNOME way, last I checked. So
please decide what's really your opinion. I suspect you have not used
about:config at all.

Moreover, you forgot Kexi is a development environment.

> First, you consider that it's not so bad idea for really advance options,
> and you start by adding a couple of them, and then you end up with a
> thousands options just because you were too lazy to think about which
> options are really usefull.

I am interested in providing all options from **rc file, period. Even those
used in "do not ask again". It's a matter of completness, and it's going to be
a policy in Kexi - any option that can be changed initially, should be
available for reverting. I am a bit tired educating you about this :)

By The way, as Stefan mentioned, there is a KConfigEditor.

http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kconfigeditor/

It can be easily started at application's level (to make it less the GNOME
way, hello Cyrille), what's my current update to the TODO. Thanks Stefan.

I can even see the old A.Dymo's property editor here :)

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/utils/kconfigeditor/src/propertyeditor/?rev=409209

FYI: the 'property editor' code has been merged with libkoproperty and greatly
improved since last year.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek