List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [office-comment] [formula] Comments on SUBSTITUTE()
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2006-12-22 10:47:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 22 December 2006 19:31, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 07:20, Brad Hards wrote:
> > This is a somewhat difficult situation: same formula name used by
> > different spreadsheets, same number of arguments, different semantics,
> > different outcome.
> >
> > Either we keep the current behaviour (which breaks things when we import
> > from openoffice or gnumeric) or switch to using the openformula behaviour
> > (which will prevent us importing from excel, and will break compatibility
> > with the previous versions of kspread).
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to work forward?
>
> Would it be possible to make the OpenFormula way the default and convert to
> that from Excel in the import filter? Or is that even a silly suggestion?
Actually, maybe this could be made to work, if combined with Inge's idea.
We need two functions:
LEGACY.SUBSTITUTE() which works like kspread 1.6 and Excel, and SUBSTITUTE()
which works like openoffice and gnumeric. We just need to get
LEGACY.SUBSTITUTE() into the openformula spec, and then handle the coversion
in the import filters.

Brad