List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [office-comment] [formula] Comments on SUBSTITUTE()
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2006-12-22 9:17:05

On Friday 22 December 2006 10.01, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 19:31, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Friday 22 December 2006 07:20, Brad Hards wrote:
> > > This is a somewhat difficult situation: same formula name used by
> > > different spreadsheets, same number of arguments, different semantics,
> > > different outcome.
> > >
> > > Either we keep the current behaviour (which breaks things when we
> > > import from openoffice or gnumeric) or switch to using the openformula
> > > behaviour (which will prevent us importing from excel, and will break
> > > compatibility with the previous versions of kspread).
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on how to work forward?
> >
> > Would it be possible to make the OpenFormula way the default and convert
> > to that from Excel in the import filter? Or is that even a silly
> > suggestion?
>
> I thought about that, and it would be tricky, because there will be no
> functional equivalent to convert to. We could add another function
> (SUBSTITUTE_EXCEL_STYLE() or similar) however that wouldn't be portable to
> any other user of openformula (i.e. you wouldn't be able to save it in
> kspread and then open it in oocalc). We'd also need to specialcase the
> import filter for kspread 1.6.
>
> There really doesn't seem to be a good solution - I think it is just a
> matter of whether we break on excel / kspread 1.6 or we break on
> oocalc/gnumeric.

Isn't there a third way?  As far as I know, the OpenFormula definition is
still under development.  That means it can still be changed. Would that help
the situation?

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |