List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kpresenter hogs memory
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-19 23:53:07

> I was thinking
> to use KDE but coming across this inefficient usage of memory suggests
> me of not using it at all.

Similarly, Windows XP requires more resources than Windows 95 for the
obvious reason that it has a lot more functionality and it looks
nicer.  Incidentally Windows XP doesn't work very well with 64MB or
RAM either, and it also does a lot less than a KDE desktop.

This doesn't mean that KDE is inefficient, in fact if you read the
article Boudewijn mentioned you can see that KDE scales quite well
when you have a lot of applications running in a realistic desktop
setting - at the penalty of having a higher minimum requirement that
Xfce or other "lightweight" alternatives.

What matters ultimately is "how well will KDE run on my system?".  If
you have a computer which was built sometime in the last 5 years then
it should run KDE without issues.