List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Kpresenter hogs memory
From:       Subhashis Roy <subhashis3 () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2006-11-17 11:49:01

Hello,

After going through 'First look: KOffice 1.5, part 1: The major
applications' in http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/03/01/1550241, I
was trying with Kpresenter-1.5 Beta 1 on Debian Sarge. However, I was
astonished to find that an Openoffice '.odp' presentation file of 5 MB
in size takes about 481 MB of 'non-swapped physical memory' (RES in
'top') after loading it. Since this was a Beta release, I downloaded the
KDE Live CD with Kpresenter-1.6 and ran it using Qemu with an allocated
memory of 384 MB through 'kqemu'. I was surprised to find that it took
280 MB of memory (RES in 'top') in trying to open that file. Then a
message something like ..no memory left was shown on that screen and no
response.  On the other hand, in opening that 5 MB '.odp' file,
'openoffice-2.0.3' took 64 MB of memory.

I also created a small presentation with Kpresentation. I found that
when the document size is ~100 KB, it taken only about ~40 MB, but once
I included an 1 MB 'jpg' image, it started taking >65 MB. It appears
that there is something very badly implemented in handling memory with
Kpresenter.

I was also surprised to find that the KDE Live CD takes about 250 MB of
total memory when just a 'Konsole' is started after booting with Qemu.
Whereas, I can run Debian Sarge with 'fvwm95' as Window manager and a
few Xterms comfortably with just using 64 MB of RAM.

Linux was designed in a way which was mostly non-GUI based and makes
efficient usage of memory. However, it appears to me with a GUI based
approach (I donot see anyrhing wrong in using this approach efficiently)
of KDE, they are taking the Linux to the other side of inefficient usage
of memory. I do like Linux and use it fully for my academic work as a
scientist from 1996 with the then Slackware distribution. I was thinking
to use KDE but coming across this inefficient usage of memory suggests
me of not using it at all.

Subhashis