List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Small KOffice interaction design meeting in middle november?
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-11-03 0:31:27

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2006-11-03 00:46:

> On Friday 03 November 2006 00:02, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>
>>For sure KO is and will stay forever part of KDE. But that's not the
>>question since we don't deal with black and white here. ppl need to
>>recognize FIRST that KOffice is a office.suite and SECOND or THEIRD
>>that it's part of KDE and not the other way around.
>
> KDE provided us with a lot of features that we don't want to duplicate.
> Various parts depend on addresses being in KAddressBook and kio to be
> setup (proxy), kdeprint being setup, KDE apps showing odt kparts.
> Of course its about code!, KOffice just only reaches its fullest
> potential by being integrated in KDE. Advertising otherwise is
> diminishing our biggest strengths.

Sure, nobody claims otherwise, but just look at OO.org marketing machine and
find a single top-level place where, say, UNO is marketed as the promary
must-have jewel to the users :)

One would even claim that KOffice can live without many KDE technologies just
nicely. E.g. without KParts - embedding could be performed in Mozilla on win32.
You can drop KIO support too. It's KDE's selling point, not too much related
what we're talking about KOffice to the outside world.
This is of course especially true if we market KDE as a part of the operating
system, not as a so-much-technical layer on top.

All these things like KAddressBook/KDEPrint/embedding/etc. are appealing to
_devs_ (not to most users) because are so much nicer designed comparing to
mac/win32 years-old APIs. But from user's POV, KOffice's competition already
have address book/printing/embedding functionality (even if badly hardcoded -
I haven't seen its source code) on the 'leading' desktop.
Isn't true that these features exist in KDE (and not at lower level) mainly
because UNIX desktop OSes are very thin layers compared to win32/mac OSes? (we
have almost nothing really "native" here, everything can be optional). If only
people were accustomed with the UNIX philosophy...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek