List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Small KOffice interaction design meeting in middle november?
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2006-11-03 0:03:03

On Friday 03 November 2006 00.46, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 00:02, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > > On the technical and the social as well as the political aspects I
> > > feel like I'm part of KDE. And your email leaves me very confused
> > > as to where our difference in opinion stems from.
> >
> > For sure KO is and will stay forever part of KDE. But that's not the
> > question since we don't deal with black and white here. ppl need to
> > recognize FIRST that KOffice is a office.suite and SECOND or THEIRD
> > that it's part of KDE and not the other way around.
>
> KDE provided us with a lot of features that we don't want to duplicate.
> Various parts depend on addresses being in KAddressBook and kio to be
> setup (proxy), kdeprint being setup, KDE apps showing odt kparts.
> Of course its about code!, KOffice just only reaches its fullest
> potential by being integrated in KDE. Advertising otherwise is
> diminishing our biggest strengths.

On one hand, this is absolutely true. KOffice works best and is most useful on
KDE. On the other hand, the reality is that not everybody is running KDE, and
unfortunately that will always be the case.  Should we make a choice not to
be in that space at all? Some people would say yes, but I don't think so.
When KOffice is available on Windows and MacOS X, it will not be as well
integrated as it is on KDE, but that's not a good reason not to enter that
space. The same should go for Gnome and XFCE.

In fact, a few choice popups stating that "this would work better on KDE"
could perhaps win a some converts for KDE as well. :-)

> > > So, can we work with the board and solve any issues that make you
> > > state that KOffice has no identity?
> >
> > Okeli dokeli... let's propably start with a small list;
> > 1. we need an own icon (top priority :)
> > 2. for the next gsoc we should imho participate as "KOffice
> > organization" and earn that way at least the same number of
> > "summer-devels" like abiword and gnumeric
> > 3. get koffice-libs ready for reuse once ko2 is "stable" as discussed
> > at aKademy.
> > 4. seek for sponsors any may it only to start our own "summer of
> > code"
>
> For the last gsoc we already stated that we had a different company and
> that didn't help. How our users perceive us is not connected to how
> Google treats us. Next year we should have a separate KWord and a Krita
> corporation to get even more? Sorry, I don't buy it.
>
> I'm quite curious about point 3, apparently there _were_ some KOffice
> discussions at akademy there but I was just not invited :/

Don't feel left out. Unless more things happened than I am aware of, it was
just an impromptu session where we did some scetching on the whiteboard. It
was completely unplanned and I just grabbed the people that happened to be
near for a quick brainstorm.

After that I have tried to develop the idea more, but it's not really ready
for public comsumption yet, I'm afraid.

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |