List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Small KOffice interaction design meeting in middle november?
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2006-11-02 23:35:00

On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:20, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > *hint to artists*). Lot of lines of code to say: KO is not KDE and could
> > be even used on your favorit blackbox or xfce4-system. It rocks even
> > there!
>
> this is a fundamental misdefinition of what "KDE" is.

ok, that's why I tried to use at least partly the "KDE-desktop" word, but
seems I don't used it everywhere in the mail :-/

> koffice apps are kde applications. this does not mean they work only when
> run with kicker+kdesktop+kwin, it means they are written using the
> foundation of kde libraries and using kde technology.
>
> moreover, koffice the project uses many community resources provided within
> the umbrella "kde project" which is itself far more than a project to make
> a workspace. this has been true since day one.

nice definition propably already written down thousand of times cause the
delivered impression seems to imply something totaly different just like the
content of the <title/>-tag or the "What is KDE?" part which does not name
that difference one single time. Anyway, that's not the question just like
it's not the question if when "KDE is a [...] contemporary desktop
environment for UNIX workstations." and "KOffice is a free, integrated office
suite for KDE." does KO run only on KDE on UNIX?!

Nah, the question is, if KO has an own role (OpenDoc-interoperable
Office-suite?) and if it makes sense to outline that role much stronger or if
KO is just an "integrated office suite for KDE" (btw another quotation from
kde.org). While the linguistic limitation may direct visible and could be
fixed faster then Lucky Luke is able to eat Jolly Jumper, the image KO enjoys
with such a restricted position may stay a bit longer...

> if this is a real problem in public perception the way to address it is not
> by creating more work for ourselves with artificial separations via legal
> organizations. few people know what "kde e.v." is and even fewer know what
> we support financially and logistically. not because the information isn't
> there but because 99% of people don't -care-.

Right. That's why I tried to write the words "KOffice e.V." within quotes and
_organization_ in a plaintext-mail bold-tag.

> i see a far more real issue in the form that koffice applications
> themselves are poorly positioned within the scope of "koffice" from a PR
> perspective. i talked with inge, thomas and others at aKademy about this.

Heh. yeah, I was at that talk too and while I agree about the long-term vision
of having reusuable kolibs, I don't see how that could help in enduser-PR...

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc