List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Small KOffice interaction design meeting in middle november?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-02 22:22:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 02 November 2006 23:03, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> I don't see
> how that could solve the in my eyes somewhat bigger prob of
> "everything is part of the whole coperate KDE-desktop". E.g. KOffice
> is KDE's office-suite, but is that true?

Yes, its true.

> I mean is Abiword Gnome's
> word processor or Gaim Gnome's instant messanger? Well, not if you
> ask users or if you take a look at the last google soc list of
> participating _organizations_ ...

I'm not sure what you mean with these examples. The fact that Abiword is
a separate entity from Gnome is due to the real differences in how the
projects run and are organized as well as the technical difference that
what we call kdelibs not really being present at all in Gnome.

KDE as a whole has some problems answering the question of what KDE
really is. And I think you are giving it one particular interpretation
that excludes KOffice from being part of that.
I have to ask you why you want to do that?
Whats the motivation to state that KOffice is separate from KDE? What
positive effects do you see happening when KOffice starts to become
something separate from KDE?

I have worked in various companies in my professional career. And each
time I noticed that for technical people its a lot more comfortable to
work in a company that is small and has short lines of communication.
We already have seen that the lines to Qt are getting a bit longer then
we like, having the effect that its harder to get patches and features
in. Do we really want the same thing in KDE?

On the technical and the social as well as the political aspects I feel
like I'm part of KDE. And your email leaves me very confused as to
where our difference in opinion stems from.

So, can we work with the board and solve any issues that make you state
that KOffice has no identity?
--
Thomas Zander