List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Object Model for ODF documents
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2006-09-29 14:19:02

On Thursday 28 September 2006 21.32, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Hello Inge,
>
> This is a very good example of the templating use.    The nice part of
> this approach is it separates the responsibilities.  The business person,
> uses he tools he is more familiar with -- the spreadsheet -- to design the
> template.  All the work on formatting and calculations, etc., happens
> there.  Then someone else, maybe the DBA or application developer hooks it
> up to be data-driven.

Exactly!

> The krossrunner engine is in native code?

Yes, you will be able to run it from a standard installation of KOffice 1.6 or
later.  Unfortunately not all of the current KOffice component has scripting
support yet; only KSpread, Krita and Kexi, the MS Access like DB application.

What we would like to do now is to work with you to define and implement your
proposed OpenDocument Object Model. I think is important is that we work
simultaneously with the implementation and the definition and let them cross
pollinate each other. It would be great also to get the OO.o people involved
in it, though I suspect they will have problems reacting as quickly as we
(you don't need to tell them I said this :-) ).

> It would be interesting to avoid the use of hard-coded cell references in
> the code.  Some spreadsheets allow the end-user to name cells or cell
> ranges with descriptive names.  Does KSpread allow this?  If so, A7 could
> be named "Name" and A8  called "Address", etc.   Then code like
> sheet1.cell("Name").setText("Joe User").
>
> Something like that would allow the code to be more independent of the
> spreadsheet.

I agree.  KSpread 1.6 doesn't support named cells, but it does support named
areas, so this problem can be worked around with a setNamedCell(name, value)
function written in python.

It would be nice if you could blog about the current developments, as we
naturally like to have the greatness of KOffice spread around as much as
possible. In addition to the fact that we think it has a great future on the
desktop, we are trying to make it the development platform of choice for
rapid application development for OpenDocument based applications.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |