List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Having more than one other widget than templates in the starting
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-24 17:24:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 24 September 2006 17:39, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Sunday 24 September 2006 17:10, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > What about auto-filling the resolution and colormodel data in the already
> > existing widget based on the image data thats in the clipboard?
>
> allready done, but obviously it's not intuitive enought for users and it
> sill needs to extra step : "copy as new layer" and "remove the blank layer"
> from the start.

Then fix that to make 'paste' just paste the image from the clipboard to the
current layer.

> Publishing the usuability survey that have lead to the current dialog could
> really help us, koffice developers, to understant what other users (beside
> us) expect of it and how they interract with it, and it might prove a very
> learning experience for us.

I think you misunderstand what we did.
There was not a 'survey' as such. This blog explains it a bit better;
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2105

To design an application you need someone that can actually design software
(not a skill people just coming from school master, for example).
Likewise you need someone that knows interaction design to design a dialog.

I'm not sure what you want to see; there have been 5 people working closely
together over a couple of months to create something. I'm sure you can
understand that there is no way for me to produce any documents so you can
suddenly understand why usability people and interaction designers came up
with the solution as it is now.

I will repeat what I think Krita should work on.
Having lots of templates based on screen resolutions and nothing else is not
really helpful. A template can be so much more then just entering some
variables in the one startup dialog there is.
Krita should have less technical categories. Users are not interrested in RGB
verses CMYK, or transparent vs. white background.
Users choose best based on goals instead of tasks.  So, provide a template
for "Printed ad" and a template that can be used to place a familiy picture
in. Stuff like that means a lot more to actual users.
--
Thomas Zander