List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFD: loading/pasting/DnD in Flake?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-15 7:43:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Sorry for slow reply, I was reinstalling my laptop :)

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 17:12, Benjamin K. Stuhl wrote:
> > So, the KoDropTool should allow sending different formats to the
> > tool, but only in a very limited capacity. I surely want to avoid to
> > have 'mimetypes' or other things to accommodate multiple-formats in
> > the KoTool. Just in the KoTextTool.
>
> Hmmm... what about image/{lots of things} for the Krita shape? Or an
> embedded Phonon (A/V) shape (audio/*, plus application/{whatever the
> video formats are})? It seems to me that we should support people
> dropping all sorts of things in their documents, but I don't really
> think we should have separate shapes per _format_: shapes should
> logically be per document _type_.

Agreed.
People dropping an image or a video technically will translate into a URL
being pasted. So again just one mime type.
I forsee the dropTool to handle the URL mimetype by fetching the file and then
inserting it if there is a filter (which converts it to ODF) or creating a
dedicated shape for the filetype if there is no filter.

In practice this means that if a user drags a jpeg to my kword canvas the
droptool will get a URL which it can get the real mimetype of, run it through
the filter-framework and end up with a krita document (which indeed is not
yet ODF, but thats beside the point ;).
This allows the dragTool to instantiate a new krita-flake and load it using
the result of the filter-framework and 'paste' that shape into the document.

Quite a similar effect will happen when the user drops a movie, except that we
need to still design/create a movie-shape. As well as the fact that we can't
convert from avi to ogg on loading ;).  So this means the shape will most
likely take a ODF doc which does nothing but reference an external URL.

--
Thomas Zander