List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Flake vector shapes
From:       Jan Hambrecht <jaham () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-08-29 7:41:37

Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>> In the KoPathShape we have a flag m_modified which tells if the path was
>>> modified by the path tool and in a method e.g. save we have the
>>> following.
>>>
>>> void KoPathShape::save()
>>> {
>>> 	/* check if it is still in the original state and
>>> 	 * the path of the object has not modified */
>>> 	if ( m_modified )
>>> 	{
>>> 		/* save it as a path object, this can save it
>>>                  *as a polyline or as a path object depending if
>>> 		 * there are curves or not */
>>> 		savePath();
>>> 	}
>>> 	else
>>> 	{
>>> 		/* save it as object as it was created,
>>> 		 * this would be used for types which are defined
>>> 		 * in oasis like rect, circle ...
>>> 		 * saveObject will be a virtual function in the KoPathShape*/
>>> 		saveObject();
>>> 	}
>>> }
>>>
>>> As soon the flag m_modified is set the object can no longer changed by
>>> the properties of the objects. Also next time it will be loaded as a path
>>> object.
>>>
>>> I would not provide the possibility to change an object to a path object
>>> but do it explicit when a the object is changed by the path tool.
>> So it would not be possible to edit a star but preserve the info that it is
>> a star. That is like having a text shape which you have to edit with the
>> path tool, because the chars are drawn with paths.
>
> No. Please see below.
>
>> I would like to have the possibility to edit the star as a star as long as
>> possible. The star would have some special handles (see how inkscape does
>> that) which the user can drag around to change the star properties of the
>> shape. And if the _user_ decides to convert it to a path, the shape can
>> than be edited by the path tool.
>> If we have to create another tool to edit these special shapes, or if we
>> can use the path tool (which then only knows about those special handles)
>> i don't know yet.
>
> If you understood it like this I think I did not make clear what I meant. I
> want the same as you. You will and should have the possibility to edit the
> star as a star as long you did not use the path tool on the star. When you
> use the path tool on the star shape it will set the m_modified flag and is no
> longer modify the star properties as it is no longer a star.

Now that we have agreed on that point, there is still the question how
to do that best.
It seems that we need a different tool to edit these parametric shapes.
And we need a generic interface for all these parametric shapes, so that
we can use one tool for all of them and not have a tool for each of
them. So the tool does not know that it edits a star or a spiral, but it
knows that there a handles it can modify. The shapes exposes all its
path points when the path tool is used, but only its special handles
when the parametric shape tool is used. Any idea how to best implement this?

> Thorsten

Ciao Jan