List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    State of Hebrew vowels in Linux
From:       Ken Bloom <kbloom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-20 18:02:14

[Note to recipients: I had the great idea to write this up for LUGOD's
vox-tech mailing list so that interested users could find it in the
list archives. Thereafter, I decided it would be to CC: to the relevant
developers as well.]

I've been looking for ways to typeset Hebrew with vowels (nikudot) in
Linux with acceptable quality. The executive summary about doing this is
that it's tricky to find appropriate software, considering that the
cumlus[1] fonts treat PostScript as a real programming language[2], and
not all software supports that. For software that doesn't support it,
this means that vowel points will usually be placed about .5em away from
where they should be, thus appearing underneath space between letters
rather than directly underneath letters. Some software can do worse, by
treating each vowel as a separate letter, thus adding extra spaces.

The text I am trying to typeset is a highly corrected version of a text
from Hebrew WikiSource[3]. The most prevalant correction to the text was
the addition of the meteg in the many words where it is appropriate.

I imagine some of the language here (specifically, the names of various
nikudot) will go over the head of normal vox-tech readers, but this is
mostly for Google, and for those interested.

OpenOffice
==========
Using the culmus fonts, nikudot are placed incorrectly (generally
centered underneath two letters) when displayed on screen, and when
printed to a PostScript file. (OpenOffice's letter placement algorithms
must interfere with creating well-behaved postscript. Note that in
Debian, OpenOffice doesn't depend on pango.)

When using Times New Roman (from the Microsoft Core Fonts), many nikudot
are given their own full letter spaces.

KWord
=====

Many nikudot are placed correctly. Others are given their own letter
spaces (a circle of dots indicates that a letter should be placed
there). Still other nikudot are replaced with "missing character" boxes.
This occurs regardless of the font.

AbiWord
=======
AbiWord has a dependancy on Pango. Using Times New Roman (a Microsoft
core font), it places most nikudot correctly, but when a letter has two
nikdot, for example when one of those nikudot is a meteg, they both end
up centered under the letter, both in the same place. The cholam appears
centered over letters, rather than at the left top corner of a letter.
The text appers the same when printed to a PostScript file.

When using the Culmus fonts, the text has the same problems as
OpenOffice+culmus fonts did.

Konqueror
=========
Technically konqueoror doesn't want to display my file, because it's a
text file which it wants to hand off to a text editor. Konqueror display
of the original data appears mostly correct, with a couple of nikudot
that don't display (and display in one of the two ways noted as
incorrect for KWord).

Printed in PostScript, the typesetting appears in print as it does on
screen. Mostly correct.

It's possible that I corrected the few screwy nikudot in the text file
that I was using to test.

Firefox
=======
Firefox also wants to hand the text file off to an editor. The original
WikiSource text appears correctly on screen, but when printed to
PostScript, the font changes and the results appear like OpenOffice.

LaTeX: Makor2+Lambda
====================
The makor2[4] package doesn't accept native hebrew text, rather using a
transliteration-like code to enter hebrew. I wrote a sed-based
transliterator to convert from UTF-8 hebrew to this transliteraton code,
and the results are spot-on and beautiful.

[Implementation note: when installing on TeTeX 3.0, instead of following
the directions given and putting psfonts.mkr2 into your psfonts.map, the
correct procedure is to run:
updmap --enable MixedMap /path/to/psfonts.mkr2]

LaTeX: Nikud+eLaTeX
===================
Nikud[5] is a package for eLaTeX to use the Culmus fonts to typeset
hebrew with nikudot. The results in xdvi look like the OpenOffice
results I have described above, but when compiled to PostScript, the
fonts' native nikud rules come into play, and the result is a beautiful
PostScript file. Running ps2pdf on the PostScript file segfaults.
Compiling using pdflatex gives results which look like OpenOffice's
results, probably because pdflatex can't run the PostScript code that
does the nice nikud placement.

[Implementation note: when installing on TeTeX 3.0, install the fonts
map using:
updmap --enable Map /path/to/culmus.map]

Executive summary:
the "Nikud" package is the way to go if you want native hebrew input,
and beautiful output in PostScript only. The makor2 package gives
beautiful output for any output format, but doesn requires a somewhat
wierd syntax for hebrew.

Screenshots are attached.

--Ken

[1] http://culmus.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/1de2968ac005719e
    http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/%7Estoledo/Pubs/vowels.ps
[3] http://tinyurl.com/mr5ye (provided as TinyURL because the URL
    because the URL includes hebrew)
[4] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/makor2.html
[5] http://nikud.berlios.de/

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/

["abiword-frankruehlCLM.png" (image/png)]
["konqueror-defaultfont.png" (image/png)]
["kword-frankruehlCLM.png" (image/png)]
["makor2.png" (image/png)]
["nikud-dvips.png" (image/png)]
["nikud-pdflatex.png" (image/png)]
["nikud-xdvi.png" (image/png)]
["openoffice-frankruehlCLM.png" (image/png)]
["openoffice-timesnewroman.png" (image/png)]
["abiword-timesnewroman.png" (image/png)]
["firefox-postscript.png" (image/png)]
["firefox-screen.png" (image/png)]