List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kspread kexi plugin
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-08-11 11:22:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Adam,

On Sunday 06 August 2006 21:05, Adam Pigg wrote:
> On Sunday 06 August 2006 18:45, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> > Adam Pigg wrote:
> > > lo
> > >
> > > ive written a plugin for kspread to allow importing data from a kexi
> > > database.
> >
> > Two words about packaging:
> > KexiDB is bundled with Kexi so this addition would make KSpread dependent
> > on Kexi. The option could be to define an interface in KSpread for this
> > stuff and put the implementation as a plugin into Kexi itself. Then,
> > someone having Kexi installing will get the import feature.
>
> Yeah, a configuration option might be useful here.
>
> > In 2.0 KexiDB and realted widgets go to kofficelibs.

as Jaroslaw already mentioned, your patch would introduce a dependency on
kexi. So, packagers wouldn't be able to ship kspread without kexi.

Without having had a look into the details, this could be avoided by defining
an interface to kexi as it is done for kchart. You'll find this interface in
koffice/interfaces.

But frankly speaking, I would prefer this realized as an import filter rather
than a plugin. That's were it belongs to.

Regards,
Stefan