List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Trying db-aware combo boxes in Kexi
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-07-26 21:13:52

Aaron J. Seigo said the following, On 2006-07-26 20:24:

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 3:08, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>
>>http://kexi-project.org/pics/1.1/combobox.png
>

> just fyi.. in kde3 there was KLanguageButton in kdeui

It is a rather simple 200-line long code operating on QString/QPixmap data
types...

void KLanguageButton::insertItem( const QIconSet& icon, const QString &text,
  const QString & id, const QString &submenu, int index )

..designed for a specific purpose. Database-aware stuff is a whole library
(koffice/kexi/widget/tableview/ and friends) supporting a dozen or so data
types each with various display options, and so on. In 2003 the question was:
whether building on top of KLanguageButton is beneficial. I wouldn't be so
rude to propose dozens of virtual functions in KLanguageButton just to make it
reusable :)

 > and there's a similar
> class in datakiosk if i recall correctly. looks like we're duplicating this
> functionality around a lot. would it make sense to make it generic and push
> this down the stack a bit so that in future more people don't reinvent this
> wheel? (and so we get it right once w/regards to RTL, accessibility, theming,
> etc)

I am aware of this issue. I've been talking to Adam Treat about this issue in
2004 or later. Th econclusion was that there would be a danger of
overengineering. The apps are similar but DataKiosk is viewer or mostly
read-only db schema while Kexi is highly read-write in this topic. Moreover,
there was (and still is) no workforce for starting and maintaining this effort.

What could be done is to pull some of the abstract and visual classes (like
the combo box) up in the KDE hierarchy. For KOffice 2.0 these are going to be
shipped in kofficelibs, for reusing in KWOrd, KSpread, etc. Sure, we can talk
about this in Dublin. There are many more KDE4 apps that can benefit from
rich, well-defined data types.

I recall we have similar choice to do regading to the Forms Designer framework
(with KFormDesigner app as a test app built on top of it, in times when
QtDesigner (v3) was poorly extendable). We choose to design and maintain
Kexi-independent layer and only build a factories and a more
"intelligent/functional" view on top of this. After a while the stuff was even
embeddable in KDevelop quite well. Today... me and Cedric Paster know it was a
huge task that wasn't profitable. Overengineering in this case. Sometimes this
is a real danger.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek