List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts in KFormula
From:       Alfredo Beaumont <alfredo.beaumont () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-24 6:01:48

Igandea 23 Uztaila 2006 23:02(e)an, Alejandro Exojo(e)k idatzi zuen:
> El Miércoles, 19 de Julio de 2006 10:45, Alfredo Beaumont escribió:
> > Doing some tests from MathML testsuite I've found that current TeX fonts
> > (apart from the rest of their problems) don't behave well with big sizes,
> > and they're overall not very good-looking. I have been doing some
> > research, and I have found what I consider a much better alternative:
> > Arev fonts http://tavmjong.free.fr/FONTS/
>
> Do you know why only the Cyrillic glyphs have been merged with DejaVu?
> Since the DejaVu project aims to provide all glyphs, and its a popular
> font, a nice mid/long term solution will be depending on it when it
> contains all the glyphs, isn't it?

Yes. The idea is to package the best Free Software compatible font available.

> I did a quick search, and they say that DejaVu Sans covers 89% of the math
> page:
> http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/dejavu/trunk/dejavu-fonts
>/unicover.txt

Yes, but Arev fonts provides 100%. The font packaged is for math symbols. The
user can perfectly use DejaVu and if you need a character that is in that 11%
then Arev comes to help.

> So I did an informal test with kcharselect, and DejaVu Sans is second font
> in my system which most glyphs at this page contains; only Lucida contains
> more (and is non-free, from the Sun JVM). The only glyphs I would really
> miss in this font from the Unicode 2200-22FF range, are the
> contour/surface/volume integral. The other missing symbols, are not that
> common IMHO.

Unicode 2200-22FF are Math Operators, and thus, the most important range IMHO.

Anyway, I have been talking with Dejavu developers aswell and their math
symbol support is improving fast. They are even considering merging with
Arev. Whenever dejavu is ready we can switch and as dejavu is popular enough,
we could even stop packaging ourselves and put it as a requirement.

Cheers!

--
Alfredo Beaumont Sainz
http://www.alfredobeaumont.org/blog.cgi