List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: OpenXML support in KOffice
From:       Martin Ellis <martin.ellis () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-07-17 17:04:20

On Monday 17 July 2006 16:54, sven@slueppken.de wrote:
> Well, patents are on the OpenDocument format too, it was implemented in
> KOffice anyway. Sun stated that it would not _use_ its patents
> (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/office/ipr.php), that's great, but so
> has Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/covenant.mspx (still for
> the old format but true for the new as well). I strongly advise to read
> Brian Jones' blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones) for more information
> about the fileformat, especially two older posts at
> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2005/11/22/495876.aspx and
> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2005/12/14/503642.aspx before
> spreading FUD.

If you're on the odf-discuss list, you might want to go back and read the
"OpenDocument is now ISO 26300" thread, where an ex-lawyer (very patiently)
explains the problems with the MS OpenXML convenant not to sue.

The gist of it is that while the Sun CNS is based on `tried-and-tested' legal
terminology, the MS OpenXML one doesn't mean much when you deconstruct it.

The list isn't archived.  Mail me privately if you need a copy.

Oh, and please don't believe everything you read on the Microsoft site.
This is the same company that announced on it's education site (of all
places!) that computers had to be used with the operating system with which
they were sold.    Now that was FUD.

> I'm not a laywer and those licensing issues are always quite delicate, but
> why not give Microsoft a chance? Or we have to ask a laywer, do you know
> one? ;)

Wonder if it's worth dropping the Software Freedom Law Center a mail?

Martin