List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: OpenXML support in KOffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-17 13:31:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 17 July 2006 15:07, Robert Knight wrote:
> Finally, given that KOffice spans hundreds of thousands of lines of
> code, it is highly likely that we are violating quite a number of
> patents already.  The same is almost certainly true of the KDE project
> as a whole which contains more code than the Linux kernel.

There is  a little funny detail in the law about patents; if you are not
aware of those patents existing then you are not liable for infringement.
You just have to remove any infringing code when you are told.

> Both Gnumeric and OpenOffice.org are already working on OpenXML
> support.

Are they doing that based on the ODF fellowship of the microsoft software
(or even another one) ?

I do suggest that anyone that has time to work on this should first do
that in a repository external to KDE/KOffice.

--
Thomas Zander