List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Does Kword respect printer margins from CUPS?
From:       Niels <zorglub_olsen () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-26 12:09:35

On Friday 26 May 2006 13:56, Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Friday 26 May 2006 12:52, Niels wrote:
>> I'm trying to set default margins for my printer in Control Center /
>> Printers. But Kword doesn't seem to use them at all. If I set the
>> margins to, say, 50 mm and then try to print out a page with Kword
>> margins of 0 mm, Kword doesn't alert me in any way. It just sends the
>> page to the printer, which means I get missing text. The preview also
>> shows text with zero margins.
>>
>> Come to think of it, the printed page doesn't have margins of 50 mm
>> either. It seems the margins I set aren't used at all.
>>
>> Can somebody explain how this is supposed to work?
>
> Simply said; KWord completely ignores cups margins. So you have to set
> them in your KWord document.
>
> I personally don't even have cups installed and I can't find the margin
> you are talking about (making it seem like a cups-only property).  I
> guess this is only used for plain-text printing.

There are two places to set margins: one for text and one without a name --
I assume it's "general printing".

You're right, each printing system I select in Control Center gives me a
different set of settings to change. However, the point of a common KDE
print system must be that I make printer settings in one place, and then
each application use those settings. Otherwise, what are the settings for?

Thank you for your answer.

//Niels