List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [odf-discuss] Non-portable paragraph rendering settings,
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-19 7:57:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 18 May 2006 23:00, Stefan Lücking wrote:
> In KWord the right behavior (from my point of view) could be
> realized when paragraph top margins are ignored on [top] of a page
> unless it is combined with the option "Page break before".

In typography you never want an unexpected spacing on top of a page, that
will look weird since the whole (imaginary) baseline grid moves for that
one page, which will make reading the pages (or just having them side by
side) annoying. [1]

I can see 2 cases where the user intentionally wants to have spacing at
the top of a page.
First is when a style demands it on the first page. A style like Title.
But this is iffy since defining a header1 tends to have that same leading
space and the user typically does not want that spacing there. Ambiguity
is bad, don't do it there.
So whats left is a very explicit call for asking that space on top of
page; the "page break before" combined with the top margin.  If we don't
honor the top margin there then the 'top margin' property is useless for
that style and that can certainly be seen as a bug. I'd say we use that to
make this one case honor the spacing on top of a page.

This comes down to my fully agreeing with the logic of Stefan that I
quoted at the top of this email.

1) incidently this is the same for all frames, all the way upto multiple
columns that are layed-out in a small corner of a page. So for KWord you
can read s/page/frame for the rest of the email.
--
Thomas Zander