List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice screen readers
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2006-05-13 14:50:58

On Thursday 11 May 2006 15:15, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks for the summary. Really clear. I'm thinking that getting sponsorship
> for an accessibility drive may help with getting work on a screenreader
> done. Maybe the prime person to approach is Mark Shuttleworth, perhaps
> through Jonathan. Even if it just means getting someone good to work on the
> issue for half a year, we'd be a lot further.
>
> I've added your mail to the roadmap wiki page. Especially the bit about
> making the entire document accessible in  a rich way sounds something we
> can start doing very soon.

In a private email boud asked for details about the AT-SPI and standards for
exposing document content.  Figured I post the reply here for all to see.

An overview of AT-SPI and some discussion about adapting it to KDE are
available at

http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/

Unfortunately, these docs are bit aged and need to updated in light of
Qt4/KDE4.

The AT-SPI interface itself is documented here:

http://gnome.org/~billh/at-spi-idl/html/

Additional information is available on the Gnome accessibility website:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/

A document that describes exposing document content using AT-SPI is available
here:

http://accessibility.freestandards.org/a11yspecs/atspi/adoc/ADOC_ATSPI.htm

and there's a similar version using the ATK here:

http://accessibility.freestandards.org/a11yspecs/atspi/adoc/ADOC_ATK.htm

(ATK is a Gnome library that implements the AT-SPI.  It uses CORBA/Bonobo.)
Unfortunately, work on these docs seems to have died out recently.

There is also a proposal targeted towards HTML documents here:

http://www.mozilla.org/access/unix/new-atk.html

these docs.  Read the ml archive by going here

IMHO, the document that is most relevant to KO devs right now is the
ADOC_ATSPI document I linked above.  It should be scanned to get an overview
of the requirements.  You will see there are blanks in the document for
details and unfortunately, discussion seems to have died out right now.

I will ask on the accessibility@freestandards.org mailing for advice on how
KOffice devs should proceed.

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)