List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Contest: Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows, $3,000
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-07 21:34:01

> Isn't there like some cross compiler for Qt.  That when you write in Qt3 on
> Linux, you can compile a Windows version without having Windows.

Compiling the code isn't the main problem.  There are no GPL-licensed
editons of the Qt 3 libraries for Windows which we can ship with
KOffice.  This means that to run KOffice 1.x on Windows, you would
need to purchase a commercial license for Qt 3.  With Qt 4 however,
there is a GPL-licensed edition for Windows, so we can ship those
libraries with KOffice.

> I just want
> to see a demonstrated version of KOffice on Windows.  This is just a proof of
> concept to entice the people I'm talking to, to hold off on making their next
> big purchase on Microsoft Office.

Even if KOffice isn't available on Windows, there are plenty of free
alternatives which are.  OpenOffice.org is the most enterprise-ready
suite, and the most important of the GNOME Office applications
(AbiWord, Gnumeric etc.) are available for Windows.

What would be helpful is if you were to show the people you are
talking to the latest OpenOffice.org (for example), and get feedback
about what they like / don't like about it, as well as what their
needs are.

If you manage to get people hooked on an OpenDocument-ready suite like
OpenOffice, transferring to KOffice at a later time would then be much
easier.