List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: playground/office/flake
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-24 8:23:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 24 April 2006 06:56, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> I know you did not know this as it is not documented properly. Maybe we
> should disccuss thinks like this before a lot of code gets changed and
> it has to be changed again.

Now you know why you guys need to document your code. And why I have been
asking again and again to do so.
So, _all_ flake programmers, get in there and document your design and
methods! Please. :(

> I'm sorry that I have to say that, but I don't think that is what we
> need. There are good reasons it was as it was before you changed it.
> Here is how we planned it at the weekend at Boudewijns:
>
> The z-order is defined by the order in the linked list.
> The reason for that is that it is much easier to manage.
> If you change the order only the object order in the list has to be
> changed and not each object. Also it is much faster to insert and
> remove objects from a QLinkedList.

Well, lucky for me then that the design of using the internal store of the
object manager to store the way a set of objects are displayed just looks
like optimalizations that totally defy object orientation and, in the
case KWord actually wants to use this lib, just can't work.

I'm surprised you guys propose to keep an object property inside the
object manager which even relies not on the API of the object manager,but
on its implementation.

As you agreed earlier KWord needs a lot more from an object manager as the
default one we supply, we have to manage hundreds of pages and many times
that in objects in one object manager.  Using a linked list there just
does not work for those amounts.

> So please undo this change.

I won't until we found a good object oriented (aka, maintainable and
extendable) solution that solves the issue not only for some apps, but
also for KWord.  To have the object property actually on the object
solves the problem for all possible uses.

--
Thomas Zander