List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: STIX (was About 2.0)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-31 3:01:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 21:50, Martin Ellis wrote:
> We've already seem how badly a dependence on non-free software reflects
> on other free Office packages...

Apples, oranges.

Java has a very closed licence in that it can't be legally shipped by most
distro's. While stix can be shipped legally by everyone.  Only that there
is one distro that likes to separate free and libre packages.

As for the being practical; Debian is pretty practical as well; it
immediately closed a bugreport against some KDE component that stated a
trademarked name was being used for the product.  Debian basically said
that as long as there was no actual lawsuit, the thread was irrelevant.

I think that being practical and having a good solution that you
personally may have believe problems with is still a million times better
then sitting on our thumbs and not providing any solution for our users.

--
Thomas Zander