List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-30 8:58:20

Most of these issues are well-known but nobody has time to fix them :(

On Thursday 30 March 2006 07:40, Nikola Zivkovic wrote:
> One example of such an "error" is saving
> documents to .doc format so that I may send it to a friend who happens to
> be a Windows user.

You can save to RTF.

> Another "error" occurs in KSpread. When I try to copy
> cells from a MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc document I get strange characters
> and numbers rendering it useless. The Same applies to KWord.

There have been many attempts to write filters (at least for proprietary
formats)...  You are probably better off using OpenOffice.org, assuming it
loads eventually.

> When I try to copy text and images on a website, I do not get the same
> formatting and the images are excluded.

Last time I checked, Konqueror is not offering the images to the clipboard.
I'll look into this during my sabbatical year (2007).

> Also, as a student, my documents often call for many
> images in them but unfortunately I am unable to create them.

You can draw images in Krita (part of KOffice), KolourPaint or KIconEdit.

> Also KOffice
> should try be compatible with open formats (Open Document Format) *and*
> closed formats (.doc).

Writing filters even for an open format is much harder than it seems :)

> If I could I would help in the development process, however I am
> only still learning to program. I dearly hope that the KOffice team fixes
> these problems soon with the next release of the office suite.

You can learn quite a bit of programming by working on KWord's OpenDocument
filters.

> P.S. KOffice also should improve the font rendering, which is not exactly
> pleasing to the eye. In comparison with MS office the same fonts on Linux
> look ugly at normal sizes (and yes I do use anti-aliasing). I hope this
> Email was helpful.

Will be fixed with KOffice 2.0 I believe.