List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: STIX (was About 2.0)
From:       "Alfredo Beaumont" <alfredo.beaumont () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-29 9:39:10

On 3/29/06, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 06:42, Alfredo Beaumont wrote:
> > > I don't know, it looks pretty free (as in beer) to me... although
> > > certainly not Free in the FSF sense. If you're worried about Debian,
> > > perhaps include the BaKoMa fonts but suggest installing STIX?
> >
> > My idea was to pick one complete enough Free font, include it with
> > KFormula and use just that. I think there're complete enough Free fonts
> > to support MathML fully (and TeX aswell, if we use a TeX font ;). And
> > it must be Free to be able to package it. If STIX were Free, that would
> > highly probably be the font of choice, but unfortunately is not, so
> > I'll have to pick a TeX font probably. Unless anybody else has another
> > idea.
>
> Lets stay practical here; the stix license is completely free, just not
> open source. This means we can safely put it in the KOffice tarballs and
> ship and install it.
>
> The debain people will most likely not want to ship it due to the 'you can
> not modify the fonts' clause (pt 3) this naturally means debian packagers
> should have the option of not packaging the font since we don't want
> koffice to end up in non-free.  Which is pretty easy to do in the
> configure system IMOHO.

Well, we shouldn't forget two things:

1) We don't yet know if there's a Free font good enough
2) We don't yet know if STIX fonts will be available in time

So this discussion may be pointless. This being said, let's discuss.
Your proposal seems rather unpractical to me. Yes, you can pass the
Debian filter, but every source based distribution will have to
consider our package as non-free. Considering that some of them (e.g.
pkgsrc) has license based filters, we would be as we where. No one
with source based distros and Freedom concerns (aka extremists in
Cyrille's terminology) would be allowed to install koffice and that,
I'm afraid, includes me.

So, my proposed solution is this:

Package the best free font. If that's not optimal and someone wants (I
can help with that, but won't do it myself) add support for STIX (but
not include the font themselves). If that support is added let
packagers know that stix fonts are supported by kformula so they
decide what to do.

Is this ok?