List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: About 2.0
From:       "Ariya Hidayat" <ariya.hidayat () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-03-24 18:30:10

> I wouldn't mind a basic interpreter. But a basic interpreter that can be
> called VBA needs all Microsoft's wierd basic extensions, and, most
> importantly, a very similar object model. VB is very different from your
> average basic :-(. (And for how long will MS support VBA? I mean, they don't
> support plain VB anymore.)

I don't understand the "weird extensions" that you mention here.

What I long time ago envisioned is that we can build object model
which is similar enough to that of Microsoft Excel. Of course
internally KSpread does not need to use that model. This can be
managed e.g. by the translation in the script system.

I know many (at least, David) will disagree here. But AFAICS the
Excel's object model is relatively stable over the years. Microsoft
can not just easily break it because so many custom VBA apps are built
around it.

Alternatively we can expose the object model similar to that of
OpenOffice.org (within its StarBasic interpreter).

Anyway, the language itself is not important here. As long as the
object model looks (almost) the same, I think some people will be
interested to migrate their apps in KOffice, even if they must switch
from BASIC to e.g. Python. But that's only my take and I may be fully
wrong.

BTW, you wouldn't want to use that prehistoric BASIC interpreter
(read: bscript) anyway :-P

--
Ariya Hidayat, http://ariya.blogspot.com