List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: About 2.0
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael.langerhorst () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-03-24 11:11:04

Am Freitag, 24. März 2006 11:06 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> I've tried to come up with checklist & roadmap for the 2.0 development. I
> think we need to coordinate this a little more closely than before, so we
> can integrate our applications even closer. I would, for one thing, really
> like to be able to use flake objects as a kind of building blocks to build
> various types of documents. Anyway, here's my first draft. It's unfinished
> wip.
>
> KOffice 2.0

[...]

> * Features
>
> Divided into Must Have, Should Have, Nice to Have, Probably Won't Have
> and Don't Care
>
> ** Must Have
>
> *** Qt4 port
>
> No idea how much time this will take, but I guess David and Laurent Montel
> can provide an estimation based on their experience with kdelibs and
> kdebase.

Porting the G System code base (about 22 kLOC) from Qt3 to Qt4 WITHOUT
QT3SUPPORT took three "dedicated" days, just to get it to compile. We're
still busy making things "work" properly, which will take about twice as long
as just getting things to compile.

Using qt3support makes things much faster... that almost compiles out of the
box or can be fixed in a rather short time.

The biggest issue (that I found) is actually the GUI, since the concept of UI
files changed. With qt3support that's no problem, but converting that to
"proper" Qt4 can take some time. Maybe I'm also missing something...

For list handling we slightly changed the q3porting.xml rules, so that
QValueList automatically gets QList and such things. The pointer lists need
to be manually worked on (you know that).

I guess that porting 90% of KOffice might take about 2 dedicated months.
kdelibs also needs to be considered (I have no experience with KDE 4).
Don't take this guess too serious.

[...]

> ** Should Have

[...]

> *** The standard file format for KPlato I have forgotten the name of
>
> Raphael and Dag know about this: something like OpenDocument but for
> planning software.

OPMEF - Open Project Management Exchange Format - http://www.opmef.org

Regards,
Raphael