List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Remind me...
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-18 21:33:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 18 March 2006 06:18, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 17 March 2006 02:43, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Remember also that Linux is really fast and good with thread/task
> > creation / switching whereas Windows and various other flavors of unix
> > tend to have quite slow implementations.
>
> Windows has gotten a lot better over the years, though. Not sure about
> freebsd.

<interjection>

and it's not like you'll be starting dozens of processes per second. at worst
it'll be a handful when loading a document or one at a time when adding a new
contained element.

the problems associated with new process overhead on platforms that suck at it
are most easily seen in high performance server work loads. if process
creation at the operating system level becomes our biggest problem, we'll
have pretty much Made It(tm) ;)

of greater concern will likely be the overhead of loading/linking of necessary
libraries that comes with a new KDE process, regardless of platform.

</interjection>

--
Aaron J. Seigo