List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOffice Graphics Object Hack Weekend
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2006-03-12 21:08:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Currently in playground/koffice/flake, but soon to be in
playground/office/flake (once I figure out how to move it), there's the
beinning of a shared graphics object library for KOffice. We provisionally
and provocatively called it flake, because it was snowing and all those
complex fractal graphics objects in the sky, animated and what not inspired
us.

We did a good bit of design discussions -- see my blog -- and started
implemention. David already found a memory leak in the test application :-).
In any case, the guiding principle was: not yet another canvas (although we
will need one for Karbon/Kexi integration) but a library for the handling of
complex graphical objects. Creation, moving, translating, selecting, snapping
to guides and grids, copy and pasting, dragging and dropping, loading and
saving to OASIS is within the remit of this library.

We started in Qt4 because there's little sense in doing forward looking coding
in Qt3, and we came to the unanimous conclusion that, despite the rather
inferior documentation(1), Qt4 is a good thing and should be pushed along.
Porting KOffice to Qt4 as soon as possible, making it compile and run, and
then starting to rip out old stuff and adding new, nice, modular,
well-designed stuff would be a _good_ idea. Let's do that right after 1.5rc1
is tagged. That way we can continue working on the good stuff we started this
weekend.

Oh, and if a meeting similar to this one, but for text, needs to be organized
with Thomas, David and others (trolltech guys?) as attendants, we've got a
largish dinner table and a kettle that can hold soup for ten...

(1) The introductory article on the painting subsystem is badly out of sync
with the actual painting subsystem in qt-copy.
--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi