List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux Format: KSpread "disaster area"
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2006-01-19 14:54:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 19 January 2006 11:58, kent@mslinux.com wrote:
> Quoting Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>:
> > On Monday 16 January 2006 23:30, you wrote:
> >> Don't fall into OO trap.  JVM is another layer to slow application
> >> launching. JVM takes about 1-2 minutes to load.  I don't like that nor
> >> will user.
> >
> > You seem to be uninformed about current state of open source JVMs. As
> > this is not true at all (very very very far from 1-2 min :)
>
> Based on what you're telling, there are two possibilities.  Either it's
> around 20 minutes or 2 seconds.  Writing a negate statement has infinite
> possibilities.  I could also assume 40 minutes or 2 seconds, 60 minutes or
> 1 seconds, 80 minutes or 0.1 seconds, and so on.  Bring sanity to my life
> and give me a range.

The amount of time needed to load a jvm and run the smallest possible java
program* is about half a second**:

boud@selday:~$ time java Hello

real    0m0.048s
user    0m0.025s
sys     0m0.007s

* public class Hello {
    public static void main(String[]args) {}
  }

** on a 2ghz laptop, where Java had run before and so was in Linux' memory
buffers, I have to admit that.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi