List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux Format: KSpread "disaster area" aka Scripting
From:       Martin Ellis <m.a.ellis () ncl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2006-01-17 20:48:15

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 08:59, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > For a restricted and secured environnement, my choice for JS is positive
> > :) Because it is less overfeatured as the other solution, meaning less
> > danger of security issues. And also, because kjs was designed with
> > security in mind. And because I think the syntax is easy to learn. I
> > don't find any default in kjs for this task ;)
> >
> > btw the GPL3 don't answer the issue of scripting, especialy embedded in a
> > document. I will try to comment on it, but the site of the FSF is
> > overloaded for the moment. The issue is about the licence of the script,
> > is it code or data ? And, so, does it have to be GPL or not ?
>
> The answer can be: does C code compiled using gcc needs to be GPL? No.

Actually that's an over-simplification.  Firstly, IIRC much (all?) of the C
runtime is I think LGPL anyway.

Secondly, (even if it's not) the GPL explicitly allows linking with essential
system libraries (which is how you can have GPL software on Win32).

Likewise, regarding your other (more tenuous) post about X, the X client libs
would probably be regarded as an essential system library, so that isn't a
useful analogy either.

I'm not sure whether a run-time that comes packaged with an office suite
really counts as a system library.

Note that there was a huge hoo-hah on debian-java sometime ago about whether
non-GPL code could run on GPL JVMs (kaffe, I think was the case in question).
Both sides of the argument were rather convincing(!) - and it really involved
some heavy thinking about what was meant by 'linking' -  so it seems the GPL
could do with some clarification here.

Martin