List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux Format: KSpread "disaster area"
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-01-16 1:07:04

> Javas security model is actually better then all the other languages I
> know, so if there is _any_ scripting to be had, I'd love to have Java
> instead.
> Note that I'd naturally go for one of the GPL-ed Classpath JVMs :)

Agreed, but security does need a serious discussion before it is
extended to KSpread / KWord.  We all know what happens when it gets
tacked on as an afterthought.

In particular, I suggest that just giving the user a "This file
contains scripts which may be dangerous, do you want to execute them?"
prompt when a document is opened is a poor solution.  It assumes that
the user will actually read and take the dialog seriously, and also
that they have enough information to make an informed decision about
whether or not to run the scripts.